Network security is a top priority for businesses today, in the digital landscape. With the increasing number of cyber threats and attacks, having the right tools to monitor and protect your network is essential. One such tool that has gained popularity is the Protocol Analyzer from ManageEngine. This powerful NetFlow analyzer tool allows network administrators to capture and analyze network traffic data, providing valuable insights into security incidents and performance issues. In this article, we will explore the features of using a Protocol Analyzer and why you should use it to enhance your network security. So, if you’re looking to safeguard your network and stay one step ahead of cyber threats, keep reading to learn more.
Introduction to Protocol Analyzer
The most critical issue in dynamic networks is the lack of visibility. Every day, a large amount of data passes through the network. As a result, the question remains: are they following the terms and security protocols? You can’t answer this question without using a protocol analyzer tool! A protocol analyzer is a powerful tool that helps you monitor and analyze network traffic and behavior. It can also be used to identify security problems and troubleshoot issues. The key purpose of using a protocol analyzer solution is to understand how packets are transmitted over the network. A protocol analyzer captures digital data on the communication channels that devices use to communicate with each other. These channels can range from local PCs to satellite links.
“Read more about: All You Need to Know about Social Engineering “
How does Protocol Analyzer work?
Protocol analyzers capture data packets as they travel across a network and provide insights into traffic patterns in the form of graphs and charts. They visualize the entire infrastructure, pinpoint the root cause of issues, and send alerts when there is abnormal traffic behavior. Here’s how:
- Protocol analyzers capture data packets as they travel across a network.
- They decode the data packets and convert them into human-readable format.
- Analyze the data packets and identify traffic patterns.
- They visualize the entire infrastructure and identify any bottlenecks or areas of congestion.
- They pinpoint the root cause of issues by analyzing the data packets.
- Send alerts when there is abnormal traffic behavior, such as a DDoS attack or a data breach.
Protocol analyzers are so necessary tool for network administrators and security engineers. They can be used to monitor network traffic, troubleshoot issues, and identify security threats.
NetFlow is a network protocol developed by Cisco (Networking Company) for collecting traffic information and monitoring network flow. By analyzing NetFlow data, you can get a picture of the direction and volume of network traffic. NetFlow is a bidirectional technology. This means that it can track the flow of traffic in both directions, from the source to the destination and back again. This allows you to see the entire flow of traffic on your network, from start to finish. Here is an example of how NetFlow works. Let’s say that a user on your network makes a request to a website. The NetFlow exporter on your router will create a flow record that includes the source IP address, destination IP address, source port, destination port, and protocol. The flow record will also include the start and end times of the flow. The NetFlow collector will then store the flow record in a database. You can use a NetFlow analyzer to query the database and view the flow records. This will allow you to see the direction and volume of traffic for any given flows.
“Read also on: Why Your Business Needs Security Operations Center?“
NetFlow Analyzer ManageEngine
After learning about protocol analyzers and NetFlow technology, here are some of the benefits of using the NetFlow Analyzer solution from ManageEngine:
- Check how your network is using the available bandwidth.
- Determine whether essential applications are running smoothly.
- Investigate which devices or interfaces are creating performance issues.
- Receive alerts for abnormal traffic patterns.
- Create traffic usage reports.
Why should you use Netflow analyzer?
NetFlow Analyzer from ManageEngine is a powerful network security tool that offers a number of advantages over other protocol analyzers.
- Real-time bandwidth monitoring: NetFlow Analyzer allows you to visually monitor total bandwidth usage in real time, so you can quickly identify and troubleshoot any potential bottlenecks.
- In-depth traffic analysis: NetFlow Analyzer provides in-depth visibility into network, application, and protocol traffic, so you can gain a better understanding of how your network is being used.
- Support for multiple flow formats: NetFlow Analyzer supports multiple flow formats, including JFlow, IPFIX, sFlow, and NetStream.
- Distribution network traffic monitoring: The Enterprise edition of NetFlow Analyzer can monitor distribution network traffic. This allows you to gain visibility into traffic that is not typically visible with other tools.
- Raw data reports and forensics: NetFlow Analyzer can generate raw data reports and forensics. This allows you to investigate network incidents in details and identify the root cause of problems.
We understand the new challenges of network security and monitoring. Network administrators use protocol analyzers to gain visibility into network traffic and identify potential security threats. These tools must be easy to implement in existing network architectures and provide critical metrics to understand traffic behavior. A tool such as NetFlow Analyzer is addressing these concerns.